Go Back   SwimClub.co.uk Forums > Noticeboard and Advice > Wild Swimming

Old 08-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
jtj321
Established Member

where to swim on windermere

We are staying in the south lakes at the end of next week.My daughter and I are doing the gns but she has no open water experience (I've done a fair bit)-so I'm looking for a safe place to introduce her to open water.
We are staying near Millom,so not that far from Windermere/Conniston etc-any local knowledge of good places to swim would be great.
Looking at other sites the temperature looks chilly-around 10deg but I'm thinking quick in and out,just a taster (Ive got a thermometer-nice to know its ****** cold!)
Perhaps should say my daughter is 30+-and I'm-well lets say a tiny bit away from bus pass territory!
jtj321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
Pandi
Bournemouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtj321 View Post
We are staying in the south lakes at the end of next week.My daughter and I are doing the gns but she has no open water experience (I've done a fair bit)-so I'm looking for a safe place to introduce her to open water.
We are staying near Millom,so not that far from Windermere/Conniston etc-any local knowledge of good places to swim would be great.
Looking at other sites the temperature looks chilly-around 10deg but I'm thinking quick in and out,just a taster (Ive got a thermometer-nice to know its ****** cold!)
Perhaps should say my daughter is 30+-and I'm-well lets say a tiny bit away from bus pass territory!
Have a look at the wildswim map on the OSS site.If you join the facebook group(from which,i have been banned ) There are members in that area who will be able too help.Happy swimming.

ps.The waters cool not freezing.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
jtj321
Established Member

Thanks Pandi I'll have a look at the site and maybe join the facebook group,-you can't just drop the banning thing in though-why???I don't really use facebook,lots of pointless pictures and....hmmm I feel a Meldrew moment coming on!
jtj321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Pandi
Bournemouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtj321 View Post
Thanks Pandi I'll have a look at the site and maybe join the facebook group,-you can't just drop the banning thing in though-why??? Winding up wetsuit wimps don't really use facebook,lots of pointless pictures and....hmmm I feel a Meldrew moment coming on!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Brick
Can't swim and chew gum at the same time

I don't have my copy around, but the tourist advisory centre for the lake district sent me a brochure about wild swimming in the lake district.

I've swim by the campsite at low wray, but the main reason for that was that I was staying at the campsite. It was a reasonable place to swim, with the water rapidly becoming deep, but it was rocky underfoot.

Pandi: Why have you been banned from the facebook site?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Wildswimmer
Ice Warrior

Location: Runcorn, Cheshire, near Liverpool: 2008 Capital of Culture.
Send a message via Yahoo to Wildswimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandi View Post
Have a look at the wildswim map on the OSS site.If you join the facebook group(from which,i have been banned ) There are members in that area who will be able too help.Happy swimming.

ps.The waters cool not freezing.
You're welcome in "our" version:

http://www.facebook.com/wildswimming

http://www.wildswimming.co.uk/

Daniel Start is consultant to RALSA - I had lunch with him and Yacov.

The swimming map is here:

http://www.wildswimming.co.uk/map.html

The N England Facebook page is:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/58467475344/

Wildswimmer Pete

http://www.riveraccessforall.co.uk/
Wildswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote