Go Back   SwimClub.co.uk Forums > Noticeboard and Advice > Masters Swimming

Old 18-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Limerick
Established Member

World Masters Championships - Riccione ITALY

I know its early, but just wandering if anybody on this forum is thinking of going to the World Masters Championships in Riccione? Its on from Sunday, 03June to Sunday, 17 June 2012. Some of the guys in our club are thinking of going and I am considering it myself.
Limerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Tewson Veste
I don't do 50's (Anymore)

Yep, we have a few guys who will be attending. My stock answer these days (and boring I know) is it depends on results of surgery on the shoulder.
If all goes well planning to holiday for 2 weeks to make it acceptable to Mrs Tewson.
Old 18-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Big Nev
Now retired and loving it!!!!

Location: Rochdale and driving on M60 to Trafford training sessions
I'm planning to retire next year so will be winding down by then.

Will be in Cyprus looking for a house to live in.

Good Luck to all those that go.
Old 18-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Odmaster
why does life get in the way of training

A few of us are going and are already considering accommodation options!
Odmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Ivor
Veni - Natavi - Vici

I am considering it, but it really depends if the Google maps estimate of less than 3.5 hours from the pool to my parent's house is accurate.
Ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Spidey
Time is a healer

Send a message via MSN to Spidey Send a message via Skype™ to Spidey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limerick View Post
I know its early, but just wandering if anybody on this forum is thinking of going to the World Masters Championships in Riccione? Its on from Sunday, 03June to Sunday, 17 June 2012. Some of the guys in our club are thinking of going and I am considering it myself.
It's not that early, some of my swimming friends in another club have already booked thier accommodation.
Greener
For fine art, check this out.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Limerick
Established Member

wow. I thought I was being incredibly early in even thinking about the POSSIBILITY of going. Some folk are sooo organised....right, Id better have a look at the website again, see what events I MIGHT consider doing, work out the dates I might go, then check out flights and hotels. What is the story with the nearest decent sized airport, and what are the main carriers that service that airport, anybody know?
cheers!
Old 19-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
manic porpoise
Established Member

In 2004 when Worlds were last in Riccione:

Squeezy Jet flew to Rimini which is the closest airport. Not sure how far but must only be a 15 to 20 min drive as the planes are really low as they pass Riccione on their way to Rimini.

Ryanscare flew to Bologna. (At least it was Bologna on their website which is really Forli. That's ok as Forli is closer to Riccione than Bologna is).

I haven't checked yet for next year so don't know which airlines are best.
manic porpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
Limerick
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic porpoise View Post
In 2004 when Worlds were last in Riccione:

Squeezy Jet flew to Rimini which is the closest airport. Not sure how far but must only be a 15 to 20 min drive as the planes are really low as they pass Riccione on their way to Rimini.

Ryanscare flew to Bologna. (At least it was Bologna on their website which is really Forli. That's ok as Forli is closer to Riccione than Bologna is).

I haven't checked yet for next year so don't know which airlines are best.
thanks manic!
I see on the ryanair website that they do now fly from London-Stansted to Rimini, but only on certain days.....I have not checked any other days.
The official website does not seem to give any details as far as I can see on airports, hotels etc....
Old 20-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
manic porpoise
Established Member

Last time I stayed out of the town at a B&B on a farm. I've no idea where it was, but it was in a lovely location and great for relaxing after swims. On the down side it took quite a while to get to the pool due to the traffic. Riccione is much more convenient and has lots of restaurants but is a typical tourist town that doesn't show the best of what the area has to offer.
Old 25-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
Limerick
Established Member

When I went to the European Masters in Stockholm a few yrs ago, I had a free day on my first full day there, and I registered in the morning for my events. Looking at my chosen events and flights, it looks like my my first race would be the day after I arrive. Seeing as I would be arriving late in the evening, might this be a problem? I take it that you cant swim unless you have arrived and registered/validated, and if this takes time and your race is on in the morning, maybe as a golden rule you should try to have a free day after you arrive?
Old 25-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
manic porpoise
Established Member

I like to be able to register the day before. Sometimes they are quick but sometimes it can take hours. If your event is early I think you risk missing it. Last time at Riccione they wouldn't even let us to the pool without a valid ID showing you were swimming that day.
Old 26-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #13
Limerick
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic porpoise View Post
I like to be able to register the day before. Sometimes they are quick but sometimes it can take hours. If your event is early I think you risk missing it. Last time at Riccione they wouldn't even let us to the pool without a valid ID showing you were swimming that day.
thanks MP, this is what I kind of guessed. So I think you to figure out a schedule of flights and races so that you have a free day before yoru races start.

One other issue:

My club went to a gala earlier on this year in Italy, and there was a major problem, apparently at galas in Italy, swimmers need some letter or form from a doctor saying that they are fit, and without this letter they wont be allowed to swim.
I presume that this does not apply to to the worlds masters event?
Old 27-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
missjackiechan
Greekophile mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nev View Post
I'm planning to retire next year so will be winding down by then.

Will be in Cyprus looking for a house to live in.

Good Luck to all those that go.
Retire from teeth or swimming or both?

Continue Odysseus' epic journey...25k, 12 Islands, 7 Days, 1 unforgettable experience.

Summer 2014. The Ionian, Greece.

www.thebigblueswim.com
missjackiechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
manic porpoise
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limerick View Post
thanks MP, this is what I kind of guessed. So I think you to figure out a schedule of flights and races so that you have a free day before yoru races start.

One other issue:

My club went to a gala earlier on this year in Italy, and there was a major problem, apparently at galas in Italy, swimmers need some letter or form from a doctor saying that they are fit, and without this letter they wont be allowed to swim.
I presume that this does not apply to to the worlds masters event?
A free day would be best or at least arrive in the morning the day before (flights permitting). If you arrive late at night and your swim is late the next day you may manage to get registered, but that could be an extra worry you don't want. I always try to schedule in a free day (or more) to allow me to find my way around and recover from the flight.

I've never had to provide a letter or form from a doctor before. I'd assume it's not needed for this one, but would hope that it would be included in the entry pack if it is.